Monday, July 14, 2008

The Malt House in Galway


A small establishment but big on style, the Malt House in Galway was a breath of fresh air. The interior was modern, light and refreshing, but already filled to capacity by the time I stumbled upon the restaurant. Located in a small courtyard just off the main road leading into downtown from the small bridge, it was not easy to find. The less than traditional menu is what made me decide to give it a try.

As you can see from the menu, there are some traditional offerings, but they are sprinkled with some international options that use spices more liberally than traditional Irish dishes would. The inclusion of an Asian style dish was rare indeed.
Since I was outside and wanted an uncomplicated lunch, the napkins were already blowing off of the table, I selected the lamb burger. Failing to notice that it was served open faced, I couldn't simply pick it up and eat it, but I didn't take much time at any rate. The arugula did not a satisfying salad make. If I had been given a second piece of bread, I would have included it inside the burger.
The mint and tomato chutney was almost the best part of the meal, but the juicy lamb and rosemary bread were also good. The chips cooled off rapidly outside, so I didn't enjoy them as much as I may have, had I been seated indoors. I would try this restaurant again if I ever headed back to Ireland.

Olde Malt Mall, 15 High Street, Eyrecourt
Galway City Ireland
Telephone:
091 567866
Opening Hours:
Mon - Sat 12.00 - 22.30

No comments: