Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Silver Fox in Killarney



Above the pub called O'Riain's (perhaps at this writing, the Corkery Pub) on Main Street sits what must be the best restaurant in Killarney. It's a hidden gem that is entered through the pub, so I suspect many people miss it completely. Sophisticated and inventive would be a good description of the menu items. My guess is that the locals come here for special occasions and if I were local, I'd look for as many special occasions as I could find.
Bread is just the best thing on any table in Ireland, they have such a great skill at making wholesome bread. This was served with butter and jam and would have made a splendid dessert if we hadn't gobbled it up before the first course. Foie Gras, who could resist that as a meal in itself? No one at our table. It was served over French flageolet beans with a nice, though unidentifiable sauce.
Venison is one of my favorite game meats and although I order it when I get the opportunity, that doesn't seem often enough. This portion was very generous and also very tender, cooked to a medium rare. The red currants made a very nice enhancement to this dish and added a a welcomed sweetness to the richness of the meat.
It was so nice to receive our vegetable side dishes literally on the side in a separate dish, so the sauces of the entrees couldn't interfere with their natural flavors. They were plain and boiled or perhaps steamed but the potato, rutabaga carrots, green beans and broccoli were very good and tender, but not overdone. The Irish version of a Chocolate Sundae worked well for me.
66 High Street
Killarney, Co. Kerry, Ireland

No comments: