Monday, July 7, 2008

Diwali Indian/Nepalese Restaurant


It might have been tempting to try the Nepalese dishes, but this was the very first Indian menu I had ever seen that offered Balti cooking. India has so many differing cooking styles that whenever I get the opportunity to try one I jump at the chance. There was no disappointment in doing so this time. the restaurant itself was modern, spotless and quiet, as we arrived very early.

Instead of the usual 3 condiments, there were 2, but both were excellent. I particularly liked the tamarind sauce, probably because it is not as hot as the other (sorry, I have no recollection of what it was called). The only odd thing was the texture of the naan. It was crispier and had an uncharacteristic shine to the surface. Usually naan is a favorite, but not this time.


The Balti Lamb was succulent, rich, and mildly hot. It was a pleasure to try and a perfect introduction to the food of that state in India, or so I hope. As soon as I find another restaurant that serves Balti style food, I know I'll be delighted to try more of it. We also ordered the Lamb Vindaloo which was very hot, at least hotter than what we have been served at home. Some like it hot and luckily my dining companion is one of those people.

As many people know, the way to tame heat is with something fat or creamy, so ice cream was the perfect dessert, or it could have been if it were not served in it's plastic container. We may have been fooled with the pistachio ice cream, since its paper cone had been removed, but the "sundae" was unmistakably a frozen concoction that should have been bought directly from a grocer's ice cream novelty freezer instead of being served by a fairly good restaurant.


http://www.menupages.ie/Restaurants/Diwali_Indian_Restaurant/Menu.aspx

Unit 1, Castle House
South Great Georges St.
Dublin 2
Tel:+ 353 (1) 4750091

No comments: