Saturday, October 3, 2009

Snack Bar


Sometimes a name is just a name when it comes to restaurants, but this one is a description. On the north side of Piazza Barberini in Rome, there is a nice little snack bar where we had our morning meal, while staying at a nearby bed and breakfast in the neighborhood. The hotel charged 15 euros for a breakfast that sent you around the corner and out of the building. As an independent traveler, I didn't want to be tied into a breakfast, unless it was served in the hotel. That turned out to be a good call, since friends we recommended the hotel to also opted out of the breakfast, but went to the recommended restaurant and were charged over 40 euros for a cappuccino and croissant for two on the Via Veneto.

This latte and pastry is what I ordered for 4 euro at Snack Bar. My traveling companion went in each morning like clockwork for 5 days in a row. By the time I joined in, they set up his order before he even opened his mouth (on day 4) and allowed me to sit at the small table (one of only 4) without charging extra for the privilege.

I really think we struck gold with this find. In a country where customer loyalty is rewarded, we as tourists don't get many chances to see it in action. Never before in Italy, has taking a seat at a table not cost me nearly double the price, and I'm usually happy to pay the extra fee, in order to sit and savor my food or drink. The sandwiches were brought in daily and looked every bit as good as the pastry. My friends reported that what they tried were very good and again, very reasonably priced.

No comments: