Saturday, July 3, 2010

Ziryab Mediterranean Grill


We are lucky to have a Mediterranean restaurant in the NOPA neighborhood of San Francisco, but after one really bad meal I haven't been back. It seems unfair of me, since I really liked the restaurant and was so grateful that the owners saw fit to introduce a lower priced dinner menu before 7p.m. every evening. The food was good and the value was superb, because it was just around 30% off the regular prices and the portions were identical. Very neighborly. So for that reason I'm writing this review but also discussing my unfortunate experience.

On all but one occasion, I always ordered the lamb shish kabob and rice pilaf with carrots. (These photos were taken with an inferior camera, so please bear with me.) The meat was marinated so, it was very flavorful, the pilaf was well made and the carrots were tasty. Although the carrots may have been an afterthought to get more color on the plate, they were nicely prepared and helped bulk out the plate. It was a great meal for $10. As you can see in the first photo, the pita bread looked fresh and it was with just enough "chew" to make it interesting. The hummus was good and I liked the extra texture that developed because either the garbanzos were not peeled, or the person doing the pureeing stopped short of liquifying it. Either way, it was more rustic and I liked that.

Here is a photo of the problem. It was a stewed lamb dish with a yogurt dressing. It looked inviting because of the menu description, but I became very ill within a short period of time after eating it. It didn't taste"off", but my suspicion was that the yogurt had been improperly refrigerated, at too low a temperature. These things happen at restaurants from time to time. I boycotted this restaurant, but I should have just told the manager on my next visit, so they could actually address the problem. I really miss the lamb and intend to go back, but I will most likely keep away from anything with dairy in it.
528 Divisadero St.
San Francisco CA 94117
(415) 522 - 0800

Hours: Sun-Thur 3pm - 11:30pm
            Fri-Sat    3pm - 12:30pm    

No comments: