Monday, January 19, 2009

Tea Rose Garden in Pasadena


On my own one afternoon in Pasadena, California, I was walking toward my hotel when I spotted Tea Rose Garden. It was quite obviously a tea room, but until I walked inside I hadn't noticed that it was also a flower shop. Quirky, yes, but the selection on the menu of classic British high teas looked broader than many I've seen at home so, I stayed for lunch.

Each table was already set with plates, cups and saucers, and a sugar bowl, all looking mismatched, which seems fairly traditional in most American tea rooms, but charming in a girlish sort of way. I cannot see a man being comfortable in this setting. Having a florist shop on the premises assured that the flower arrangements were real as well as a nice fragrant addition to each table.
The specific selection that I chose from the menu, the English Tea ($14.95) included a salad that was resplendent with edible flowers. Oh how I wished I had a small girl along, so I could see her face when this salad arrived. Having on many an occasion made use of my grandmother's flowers to mix a "flower goulash" in her garden, this element of the salad would have started me giggling with no end in sight.

Being a fan of British cream teas, my selection included a scone with the necessary accompaniments, as well as fresh fruit and a rose sugar cookie, along with small cucumber and mint cream cheese finger sandwiches. I enjoyed every single bite and felt sublimely young and feminine in this fantasy, albeit odd environment. Every woman should treat herself to an Afternoon Tea on occasion.

To my delight the scone was very generous in size and came without currants. The simpler the scone the better, as it makes the best canvas on which to paint the whipped cream and jam. It may not seem very artistic, but the result is as uplifting as viewing fine art.

No comments: