Friday, January 9, 2009

Fiesta Grande in Pasadena


We stumbled upon this restaurant while taking a walk in Old Town Pasadena. It was beyond the crowds of Old Town towards the east and looked quite predictable, but since most Mexican food we eat in Southern California is more complex that what we can find in San Francisco we walked into this modest establishment for an early lunch. We only tried two selections from the menu, but they were both very well executed, so it was a pleasant dining experience.

Mole will forever be on the top of my list for Mexican food. The vibrancy of the sauce is what makes my mouth water and Fiesta Grande had an excellent Mole sauce, complex and made in the Puebla style. Those are just words to me, since I do not know one Mexican style from another, but this was an exceptional Enchilada en Mole with the chocolate being palpable, no need for me to guess that it was part of the sauce.
Sesame seeds brought flecks of light to the very dark, visually deep and rich Mole, and they also added a nice textural element. The chicken within the corn tortilla was very tender and had been stewed with onions and bell peppers for a flavor boost. This dish was so good I really didn't miss the rice and beans, although if the truth be known, I rarely order them anyway.

Rice and beans did come with the shredded beef Machaca that my dining companion ordered. This was again another well executed offering by the restaurant and a much more traditional choice for what really amounted to a brunch. The peppers added just the right amount of heat to the beef, tomato and onion scrambled egg. Originally my selection would have been Huevos Rancheros, but the minute I saw the Mole my course was set and there was no turning back.

Fiesta Grande has no website, but this one shows their menu sans prices.
624 E Colorado Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91101
(626) 795-5577

No comments: