Saturday, April 2, 2011

Bar Crudo….Revisited

DSC06701 

Word must have gotten out about the $1 oysters at Bar Crudo because the counter was on its way to being full at 5:15 p.m., just a few minutes after they opened their doors. This restaurant is responsible for our new progressive dinner plan around the North Panhandle neighborhood. Bar Crudo is our first stop for a shellfish appetizer, then it’s off to Tsunami for half off sushi as a first course, and down to Bistro Central Park for our entree of beef or duck. Candy Bar is our choice for dessert. We won’t do that too often, but when we do it will be a real event and celebration.

DSC06703 DSC06707 DSC06714

 

On this particular visit, mussels as well as oysters were on the block for $1 each. A poor man could comfortably order shellfish in this restaurant during “happy hour”. I no longer think of this term as describing the emotional state of the inebriated at a cocktail lounge. It makes me happy just telling friends about this wonderful opportunity for fresh shellfish at rock bottom prices.

DSC06705

Humor me, just one more look, because I truly love this deal and think it is a great idea on the part of the restaurant to attract new customers and use up some of the smaller oysters that surely come in every large bag of oysters they purchase from their purveyor.  Although, these were not so small and I would have not been disappointed with the size, no matter what the price. These particular oysters were Pickering Passage from Washington state, an oyster listed on the regular menu. Each time we have ordered the oysters, they have been a different variety. It might be too much to hope that one day Kumamoto would be offered, but since they too appear on the regularly priced menu, my hopes are up, and my fingers crossed.

DSC06727 DSC06722

We tried two very different beers for this meal, Old Rasputin Stout, black as coal and just as tasty, as far as we were concerned. When we asked for one that might be like a Belgian ale, we discovered Gulden Draak, a full bodied and slightly sweet ale that was a perfect compliment to the oysters. On a previous visit we had ordered the Ahi and as I recall, I was disappointed with the 4 chunks of sashimi presented on a platter. At $3 per piece it seemed overpriced.  That experience did not deter me from trying the Spicy Yellowfin Tuna. A little lighter in color, but the Yellowfin  at the same price was just as disappointing. We detected no heat in this order and had to ask about it. The tuna was marinated in soy sauce and “Siracha HOT Chili Sauce” (I quote this directly from the bottle we have at home). In all our experience with Siracha, this was not typical, so I must surmise that very little was used. The waitress brought over a small bowl of the marinade in which the chef had added more Siracha. A great save; this made all the difference in our perception of the value of the Yellowfin and we savored each piece.

DSC06749

The item that took the longest time to prepare was the Bone Marrow Crostini with a Citrus Gremolata. That stands to reason, since the bones had to be roasted in order to release the rich, fatty, marrow flavors, and cannot compete with raw fish for timing. The orange rind was a complete surprise because I generally associate lemon with gremolata, but in this case, it proved to be a sweet flavor note to add to this little symphony of lemon rind, red pepper flakes, mint, and sage. In truth, I’m guessing about the mint, I seem to remember it on the menu description, but I cannot verify it at this time. This was and item I hope they keep on the menu, but as the menu changes with the seasons, I hope to see it again sometime in the future.

DSC06743 DSC06735

Ever since I recently tried fresh sea urchin, purely by accident, and realized it was not the Devil’s sputum as I had previously thought (long story), I try to order it when it’s offered. What better place to feel comfortable eating it, than at a raw bar where the fish is freshest? The Uni Toast was a great call and a wonderfully unique combination of flavors that worked for a variety of reasons, on a very memorable dish. The similarly textured avocado combined with the sea urchin made it  decadently creamy and the chicory salad was a good contrast in texture, but more importantly, it brought a slight bitterness that bounced off of the sweetness of the uni and avocado. Someone had their culinary thinking cap on when they developed this combination, a budding genius in my view.

DSC06736

Another indulgence, please. The flaked sea salt you see in this photo, that easily could have been Maldon from England or Murray River from Australia, was the icing on the cake, since it made the flavors sing. I was so inspired by this dish that I’d like to try it at home with a few tweaks. A drizzle of buttery Jalapeno olive oil would make it taste even richer and that faint heat would brighten the flavor. I just may have to bring a sample as a gift to the chef on our next visit.

DSC06491 DSC06496

Since I'm inclined to eat early at Bar Crudo, to take advantage of their reduced prices, I discovered a fish taco offering on my last visit. It was every bit as good as any fish taco I have tired to date. I'm beginning to wonder how they turn a profit between 5:00 and 6:00 p.m.

Bar Crudo Menu

 

655 Divisadero St
San Francisco CA 94117
(415) 409-0679

No comments: