Saturday, April 2, 2011

Taqueria Pancho Villa

DSC05662

Pancho Villa has been in business for over twenty years to my recollection. Always dependable for a good burrito, it has been a standard for our household as a “go to” restaurant for a quick meal. It is perpetually packed every time we stop by, so for years we have enjoyed it as a take out operation. When Groupon had a promotion recently, I purchased the discount coupon, knowing full well that I would use it. In fact, I purchased two. I went in with a friend and decided to actually sit down for a meal other than a burrito. I chose the Carne Asada dinner. In truth, I was not impressed. It was good, but not very different than their burritos, as it came with rice and beans and a small side of guacamole. There were seafood options that I didn’t have time to look at as I stood in line at the counter. I think they will be worth a try some other time. But as take out, because the restaurant is chaotic at best and does not provide a relaxing setting for a meal. One cannot hold a conversation there due to the excessively loud noise level. My dining companion literally had to shoo away other patrons as they attempted to share our postage stamp table.

DSC06525 DSC06523 

Here’s a photo (to the left) of the Carne Asada Burrito that I found much more satisfying than the dinner version. It held less meat, but the dinner was a hearty portion and probably too large, even for someone who was really hungry. You cannot fault Pancho Villa for serving generous portions. Of the two burritos shown I must say that the Carnitas Burrito (on the right) was more to my liking for one simple reason. The meat was more tender and flavorful.  I selected pinto beans instead of black beans, but that difference was imperceptible; it was the meat that made all the difference. Grilled beef will never be as tender as braised pork. Pancho Villa uses a lean cut of beef for grilling and pork shoulder for the carnitas. Cooking any meat until it falls off the bone will result in a more tender product, and the fat didn’t hurt the flavor either.

http://panchovillasf.com/

3071 16th St
San Francisco, CA 94103

Tel: (415) 864-8840

No comments: